Thursday, September 8, 2011

Water stains

Last night at dinner, I haphazardly put a hot lasagna pan on my lovely kitchen table.  I had set it on a dish towel but didn't realize that the dish towel was slightly damp.  When I cleared the table, this is what I found.

I was horrified!  I hoped that I could just walk away, let it sit and when I came back it would be magically gone.... no such luck.  I scoured the internet for hints of how to remove the stain.  Several sites suggested mayo.  So, I slathered the table in mayo.


I actually did the mayo trick twice.  Each time I let it sit for 20 min but this was the best I could get it.


I was still not happy with the results and the longer it sat after I cleaned it up, the whole stain eventually came back. 

This morning, I looked for more ideas and one said to place a hot iron over a cotton cloth placed directly over the stain.  I had more doubts about this than mayo.   I spent a good hour, ironing my table...what do you think the outcome was?


It was AMAZING!!!  The stain is totally gone!  I couldn't believe my eyes and actually expected the stain to fade back in through the day but it still looks great! 


I am so relieved.  That would have been sad to have such a horrible stain in the middle of my table.   Apparently this can work no matter how old the stain is. 
So, now you know....

1 comment: