Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Green with envy

Last time, on our color psychology series, we talked about the color grey.  I don't know about you but grey is still one of my favorite colors.  In fact, I'm sewing a grey dress as my latest project and I'm really excited about it. 

Anyways, today is all about green.  Green is probably the most adored color.  Few people have an aversion to green in some shade and form.  Think about the phrase "Green with envy".  It usually means we are feeling 'less than' because of something someone else has.  We see them as 'better' than us because of what they have or who they represent to us.



The most popular connection we have to green is money!  Green represents value. Psychologically speaking, a person choosing green as their favorite color wants to be valued.  They have a need impress others, and wants to be recognized for who they are and what they can offer.  The color expresses itself as perseverance and tenacity.  It is proud, rooted and unchanging. 

Sometimes green can be a longing for improved conditions such as better health or a more useful life.

Physically speaking, green corresponds to the smooth, involuntary muscles.  Sometimes, if you find yourself choosing green when you have never really been that drawn to it before, it can mean you are suffering with digestive problems or ulcers which are generally born out of worry. 

Have you ever noticed that products we use to make us look better, younger, are often packaged in green?  Take a look at the beauty aisle next time, a lot of the packaging, especially packaging for cleansers, age fighting things are green.  Could it be that looking good improves our perceived value?  Interesting how advertisers and marketers use color to their advantage. 

In all the medical facilities I have designed and doctors I have worked with, I  have observed that a doctor either loves green or hates green.  There is no middle shade they will settle on.  I have also found that the younger the doctor, the more they love green.  Perhaps because it is a time in their life when they are trying to find their place, their 'value' in the medical field.  The older, more established doctors tend to dislike green.  They have already proven themselves to their peers and are valued because of what they have accomplished. 

I think the same holds true for just the regular joe like you and me.  People in their 20's and 30's generally love the color green.  They are becoming established, proving themselves, needing and wanting to make money, lots of money and aquiring possessions.  By the time we reach our mid 40's and beyond, we are usually over the intense periods of personal growth.  Life becomes deeper and the meaning of it changes some. 

In my own life, when I got divorced, I fell in love with green.  Not just any green but a bright and vibrant, celery green.  Once I found my 'place' in my new life, I despised the color and couldn't wait to repaint everything I had touched with that green. 

Color is interesting... it tells alot about a person and their life....What is your favorite color?

No comments:

Post a Comment