Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fall Wreaths

Fall is well underway, the leaves are turning and will soon be falling.  It's been a great Indian Summer and what better way to celebrate the last few warm days before the snow than sprucing up your front door with a new wreath.  Over the next few days, I will be posting three very simple, very beautiful and very inexpensive wreaths that you can make yourself.  At the end of the wreath series, I will be holding a giveaway so that you can win one of the wreaths!

Today's wreath is a ribbon wreath!  Let's get started. 

Supplies:   A selection of gros grain or satin ribbon.  About 25-28 yards worth
                A wreath form
                Scissors
                Hot glue gun with glue, duct tape

For my wreath form, I used pipe insulation.  I got this long piece from Ace Hardware for 3.99.  It's about 2" in diameter and cuts easily with scissors.  It was long enough for me to make two wreaths.


If you are making your own form you will need to cut a length so that it will make a 12" diameter form.  Duct tape the ends together.  I like this material because it is lightweight as opposed to your typical straw wreath form which you can use but it's way more expensive.


Wrap the wreath in one of your ribbons.  This just helps to hide the ugly color of the form.  Hot glue the ends down so it doesn't unravel on you.


I chose several colors for my wreath.  A striped, chocolate brown, red and gold.  I used a 1 3/4" width satin ribbon.  Cut the ribbon into 17" strips then begin tying onto the wreath.  It's that simple!  Just tie a knot and don't worry about how neat the knot looks.  Messy works too which makes this a great craft, especially for beginners.




Continue tying all the ribbon strips on, making sure to push each knot close to the one before.


Here is the final wreath!  At first, it didn't look like much but once I hung it on my door, it really looked nice.  It's a great change from the usual floral wreath and much easier to construct.  Depending on the ribbon you use, you may need to stop the ends from fraying with a little fray check, clear nail polish or you can singe the edges with a candle flame but be very careful not to burn yourself or catch the ribbon on fire.  It's quick and easy but can be dangerous so burn at your own risk!

Check back on Friday when I will have another wreath to show you.  It is actually my favorite design and I can't wait for you to see it.  When I am done with my spotlight on wreaths, I will be giving one of these wreaths away.  Tell all your friends, link up my blog on facebook, twitter or your own blog then watch for more instructions on how you can win.  It's really easy!  See ya Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment