Monday, April 15, 2013

Furniture Painting

Everyone's doing it!  Painting furniture.  I decided to get on the bandwagon this past weekend and tackle a sofa table in need of some new color.  Painting furniture has always scared me a bit.  There are so many nooks and crannies and so many things that can mess up a project like drips you don't notice until it's too late!  I figured, who cares, worse case scenario, I have to sand it all down again and start over so I jumped right in!

 As usual, I forgot to take pictures before I even started the work!  So, here is the table after hours of sanding, seriously...lots of sanding.  The top has the first coat of the color Composed, from Sherwin Williams.

 After 3 coats of paint, I finally deemed it finished.

So, here's the deal...I wasn't sure I would love this color but I love this color!!!. It was hard to settle on this color.  When I work with clients who are changing paint colors, they typically show me something that inspires them or an art piece they love.  We draw colors out of their inspiring piece.  The problem with my house is that there is nothing colorful nor inspiring but not for long.  I am determined to change things up a bit.   I am picturing this with some bright, celery green and coral accessories!

  I am notorious for changing my mind on color as much as I change my socks.  I have lived in this house for 8 years and it still looks the same way it did when I moved in.  In my mind, this wasn't my dream home, it was just a home to get us by.  

That's all changed now, it's still not my dream home but I am going to declare this "home" and start making it feel like one or at least a home that reflects something inspiring.  This piece marks the beginning of change for us.  You can see from my very lousy photography that everything in my house is yellow or some tone of yellow.  

Slowly but surely all that is about to change...Next up on the DIY circuit...grey walls!  Maybe even this weekend if all goes well...What do you think of the color?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it!!! I've been wanting to do that color in my house for SO long, it just doesn't go with my couches. I'll have to come see it in person. I've been needing a color change also! I have to many browns and greens. blah!

    ReplyDelete