Thursday, July 11, 2013

A little artsy

Sorry for the latest absence.  I've been working like a dog but lately, I've missed being creative so when the weekend comes, despite my work schedule, I try to fit in a few DIY's.

I've been de-cluttering my house.
  In the process, I found some pieces I had collected a few years ago.  I have lots of old windows, old doors, old cabinet doors and a bookshelf and the sweetest little table.  I have been tackling them little by little.

Today's post is the piece of art I created from an old cupboard door.  I love it!

You probably can't see what I wrote at the bottom but it say, 'Never had an ordinary day'

Okay, so here's how I did it. 
Start with a handy dandy  notebook, sketchbook, scrap of paper...whatever.  It's always best to practice your design first on something other than the piece you will be using. 


Once you are happy with the sketch, draw it on the cupboard or canvas or whatever you choose to use.


Then, start adding your paint.  I am not a great artist so if I can do this, anyone can.  I used a short square brush.  It helped me get a darker line on the edges of the flowers.


Once the flowers are painted on and dried, I used a fine Sharpie pen to draw the stems and center of each flower. I love the movement in the stems as opposed to straight stiff lines.


Finally, I wrote the words at the bottom.  I had thoughts of sanding over it lightly to give it an aged look but I thought I would live with this for awhile and then decide if I really want to do it.  It looks so great hanging above the bookshelf  I finished a couple of weeks ago too!  That project is coming soon!  




No comments:

Post a Comment