Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Old Screen Door

What a find...this old screen door! When I bought it, I had big plans for it.  It makes the most perfect message board for our family.  The screen is wire so pictures, memos and messages can be attached with fun magnets.  I love it! 

So, using a wire brush, I cleaned up the frame, got all the old dirt and chipping paint off.


Our family has a mantra that I wanted to have on the top of the screen so I chalked it on.  You can barely see it in this picture.


Next, taking embroidery floss and using a backstitch, I stitched our saying onto the screen.  It was so easy and didn't take long.  Our mantra is from the movie Land Before Time..If we hold on together
The photograph is not the greatest and doesn't really do it justice.


I bought a small roll of aluminum screening to add some embellishments


Again, it's hard to capture a photo of wire mesh.  Using a simple flower pattern, I cut out several from the wire and layered them together then stitched them onto the screen day on the bottom half.


I added some stitched stems and voila!  It is the cutest board ever!


So, what if you don't have a screen door like this?  Well, imagine repurposing any small screen from a window or staple aluminum screen onto the back of an empty picture frame then stitch your own message into it.  It's fun for teenagers to display all the pics of their friends or young kids to display their artwork.  There are lots of unique possibilities and would make a fun and unique Christmas gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment