Friday, October 14, 2011

Energy Efficiency- part 3

Here's the final energy tip for the week.  When was the last time you changed your furnace filter?  If you can't remember the last time, it's probably time for a change. 

Did you know that filters should be changed every single month?  That is if you are buying the very inexpensive $2 or $3 dollar filter.  There are some filters designed to last three months, sometimes more depending on the manufacture.  Of course you are going to pay more for these types of filters.


I found this style with a febreze air freshener in it and it lasts 3 months.  I do not have time to remember each month to change my filter so this better fits my needs. 


Nothing like airing my 'dirty' filters!!!  This is the old filter I pulled out of my furnace.  It's been sitting in there since Spring.  That is not the color of the filter, that is dirt!  Disgusting. 

Here's another tip...If you hold the filter up to the light and you can't see the light through it, that's a bad thing!!

Why change the filter?  Well, if you think about it, a filter is meant to, well....filter!!  It's job is to filter dust and other allergens from your home.  Keeping the filter clean will help your furnace run with greater efficiency and keep your house cleaner.  A cleaner filter means less dusting!!   The harder your furnace has to work because of a dirty filter, the higher your utility bills!

I know all of us can save money on heating bills...change those filters.

No comments:

Post a Comment