Monday, October 24, 2011

Get Organized

Fall is typically the time of year that we take on the deep cleaning of our homes.  It's when we finally break down and tackle the blinds and the base boards.  I love de-cluttering and deep cleaning.  When the task is done, a real sense of accomplishment and peace resides in the place where junk once was.

It seems I do a lot of deep cleaning many times a year.  Closets and cupboards can quickly get out of control if we don't stay on top of it.  The last few months, I have been working on a few problem areas of my home.  One of the biggest messes was my laundry room.  Here are some before pictures.
My cleaning supplies end up conveniently on the floor and a mess of too small jackets and other junk hang on the hooks

The shelf above my washer and dryer were filled with who knows what.  I seemed to have a nice collection of random products I never use but somehow acquired every time a neighbor moved away.

These photos don't really do the mess justice.  My laundry room is basically a deep closet off a narrow hallway so it was hard to get far enough away for a full shot at the room.   After a little work and lots of bulging garbage bags later, it's a room I can live with for now.  It still needs some improvement but this is a good start.


I got rid of my extra vacuum so I only have to house one here.  The mops and brooms are neatly hung and the coats that didn't fit anyone are now in the hands of someone who can use them this winter.

I eliminated all the products I don't use and just keep my current cleaning supplies on the shelf. 

 What's left to do? Lots!  I'm still not happy with the space but transformation takes time. As I go out into people's homes, they often seemed overwhelmed with so many things they want to change.  It's important to take it all in stride.  Rather than go into a debt of time, or money, do little things a little at a time and soon the pay offs will be big. 

No comments:

Post a Comment