Monday, October 10, 2011

Energy Efficiency

 Perhaps you're one of the lucky ones living in a new home or at least a well crafted home.  I am not that lucky.  My house is so drafty all year long.  See the big gap at the top of my front door? 

When it rains, we feel it.  When the wind blows, we feel it.  When the snow flies, it flies through the cracks in the doors.  It is not uncommon for frost to collect at the bottom of my door in the winter. 

 Ideally, I should replace the door, replace the windows, and do a bunch of other things to improve the quality of the house but that is just not feasible right now.  So, the next best thing is to take some steps to at least save the energy I can from escaping and the elements coming in. 

The first thing I did was add weather stripping to the front door.  Nothing could be easier and takes no time at all.  There are plenty of weatherstripping kits to choose from.  I chose a thicker size because it's a sizeable gap. 


Just follow the manufacture instructions which usually involves some easy trimming with scissors.



Clean the door frame with alcohol wipes to ensure a good, tight fit with the adhesive and the wood frame.



Simply apply the adhesive strip.  Voila!  Easy.  Sometimes just stopping the draft makes a huge difference. 

All this week, I will posting more tips on improving the energy efficiency of your homes, easy DIY that make a big difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment