Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Coasters- Christmas gift 2


I love these coasters!  I am not a coaster kind of girl but this was so much fun to do, I think I will make a set for myself to keep in the living room.  Not only do they look cute, I wanted to keep making them. 

I found this little set at our local craft store for 6.99.  It included a little box to stack them in.  If you aren't so lucky, you can go to any home depot and buy ceramic tiles for less than a dollar.  Keep in mind that since you are covering them with paper, you don't necessarily have to buy white tiles. 


I chose some of scrapbook paper from a supply I already had.  Obviously, this is the step where you can choose colors to match your decor.
 Cut the paper so it is just shy of the dimensions of the tile.  You don't want to have the paper overlap the edges of the tile because then over time, the paper will look ragged and lift off or tear.
 Paint the tile with Modge Podge, then position the paper
 Once it dries, which is about 3 or 4 minutes, I lightly sanded the edges of the paper just to knock down that sharp paper edge.   I like the edge of the paper to 'bleed' into the edge of the tile.
After you have sanded, add a layer of Modge Podge to seal the paper and make it waterproof.  Voila!  You have just finished another really fun craft!  Oh, I will add that I actually added a couple more layers of Modge Podge just to be sure but, it does put it a little over the 10 min mark!

Have fun! and we'll see you tomorrow for another really fun tutorial!  Think of all the money you will save this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment