Monday, June 13, 2011

Plates

 Remember your grandma's collection of china plates, tea cups and saucers?  It use to be that getting fine china was the thing. 

It's coming back only this time, to be displayed as a home accessory not stuck in an old wooden china closet.  I love this picture of a colorful plate collection and decided to start my own but there's one problem with that.  No money to spend on fine china.  Well, problem solved!  Below is a tutorial for creating your own, on the cheap, collection of plates. 

I started with a trip to some yard sales and thrift stores.  I didn't have any luck finding old plates at the yard sales but scored big with the thrift store.  They had stacks of old wooden bowls and plates.  I chose some shallow wooden bowls to start my collection.  After finding the bowls, I selected some co ordinating scrapbook paper and got to work.  This project took about an hour and cost me $3.75.  The bowls were only $.50 each.

In addition to your plates and paper, you will also need some Modge Podge, sponge brushes and an exacto knife.  I chose the gloss rather than matt but either is fine.

On the wrong side of the paper, trace a circle about 1" larger than the size of your plates or bowls

Make one inch slits along the perimeter of the circles if you are doing bowls so it fits the form better.  If you are doing plates, the slits are not really necessary.

Begin spreading the modge podge on the inside on your bowl.  I poured a small amount in the bowl just because it was quicker and easier.

Take your circle and wet it under tap water until it begins to feel more pliable, almost soggy.  Be careful because at this stage, it will rip easily.  This helps form it to the curve of the bowl or plate.  Even if you do end up with a tear, don't worry, the glue will fix that.

Carefully lay it in the bowl and press down gently.  Make sure you smooth it down to remove all air bubbles. 

The edges should overhang slightly.  Once this layer is dry, add another layer of Modge Podge to the paper surface.  Repeat this step again once dry.  Some wrinkles in modge podging are normal and to be expected.  It's part of the beauty in this style.

Finally, with an exacto knife and sharp blade, cut off the excess paper around the rim of the bowl to give it a finished look.

I love the way they turned out!  I will post more pictures of this project after I get the hardware to hang them in my kitchen. 





This was alot of fun and so easy!  This is a great accessory for your dining room, kitchen or any wall that needs to be brightened up.  I plan on adding a variety of sizes and shapes to create a unique and intriguing look in my very dull kitchen.







3 comments:

  1. I love these Kathy...great idea. TB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Kathy...great idea! TB

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO cute!! I'm totally making these!

    ReplyDelete