Monday, May 30, 2011

Monogram Tutorial

I have really been trying to find some new ideas to do with my front door.  One problem is that the paint is peeling off in some places but that is getting fixed this week...hopefully.  The other problem is that I am just tired of the same old door decor, the round wreath with cheap silk flowers. 

For this weekend home craft, I decided to make a monogram letter covered in moss for my front door.  This is such an easy thing to do and took me just over an hour and less than $6 in supplies.  You don't have to cover your's in moss. You could wrap it in a fun textural fabric like linen or burlap, modge podge or glue handmade paper flowers to it.  The skies the limit, be creative.  Here are the steps to creating your own...
1.  Using a heavy cardboard or mat board, cut out the letter you desire along with a long strip about 2" wide.   2.  Take the strip of cardboard and glue it along the edge of one letter, then glue the second cut out letter on top to create a 3-d letter.   3.   Begin gluing sheet moss all over the sides and front.   4.  When finished gluing the moss, wrap green floral wire around the letter to secure it all.

Add an organza ribbon and you're done!  You could also add some dried flowers or quality silks to add a splash of color.

This project could be easily modified for use with any material.  Wouldn't this be cute in a nursery too?  It's really easy to do small things around the house.  I can't wait to get this front door painted!

1 comment:

  1. I'm in LOVE! Way cool and I think I have everything on hand! keep those fabulous ideas coming :)

    ReplyDelete