Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mercury Glass

I love the look of Mercury Glass but, it's expensive and hard to find. It adds just the right amount of sparkle and it's classy looking. 
  I'm sure you've seen or heard of this product, Krylon's Looking Glass spray paint. 
You can work wonders with a few dollar store pieces.  I bought some round, glass rose bud vases.  They were just a dollar.  I started with spraying the inside of the vase with the Looking Glass paint.  It dries fairly quickly.  Once dry, I sprayed it with a little watered down black paint and vinegar.  The vinegar is an acid and takes off some of the paint which is what you want to have happen. After it sits and runs for 5 minutes, blot it out with a paper towel.  It will take off parts of the paint.  Here is where you can move the paint to customize the darkened areas.  Don't worry if you take too much off, you can always repaint it.  I actually ended up spraying about three layers of the Looking Glass paint on it with vinegar spritzes in between the dried layers.  It adds a little more depth than just one layer.



Once I had the negative space just the way I wanted, I then lightly rubbed black acrylic paint on the inside then let it dry. 


This was the finished project!  I love the way it turned out. 

Below is the location for my new project- the kitchen window.  It felt cluttered with random quart jars filled with change, gum and other random items the kids drop in them.  There was also a tin box where I stashed lotion, sink scrubbers and dish soap.  Then, there was a jar of dishwasher detergent. Too much randomness.


Here's the windowsill with the new mercury glass on it.  I love the clean look!! Just love it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment