Friday, September 21, 2012

Rocking Chair Redo

We've had this little rocking chair kicking around here.  It was once used for photo shoots but lately, it's just been collecting dust.   I apologize for not getting a good 'before' picture but it was in pretty rough shape.  It had no seat so we wove some heavy cording together to make a seat.  The original paint was chipped and very rustic and vintage looking.  I sanded all the old paint off, took of the make shift seat, painted it a lacquer black, re-made the seat etc.  Well, here are the pictures of the process after painting.
 
 
I love black lacquer!

I cut out a new seat for it out of birch wood, then a piece of foam and I wrapped it all in three layers of Warm and Natural batting and stapled it to the wood.
 
For the skirt, I used Osnaburg and traced the pattern of the seat.  I sewed the gathered skirt onto the base before upholstering.
 
 
After the seat was upholstered, I added the detail.  I love the covered button nestled in ruffled black ribbon and an osnaburg yo yo.  I tufted that to the seat cushion.  I took ribbon and gathered it up and tacked that to the gathered edge. 

I love the way it turned out!  What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment