Monday, August 27, 2012

Cabinet Refinishing

This weekend, I took on a big project, well, big for me.  A daring project too!  I decided it was time to redo my cabinets.  Golden Oak is fine but I am pretty tired of it and it's all over my house.  I see all sorts of people re doing cabinets these days and they look so nice when they are done.  After doing a lot of reading and research and shopping around for the best refinishing technique, I decided to go with this product.

 I chose the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations because it was an all inclusive package.  I like to keep things simple.  I didn't have time, nor did I want to hunt around the Do It Yourself shops trying to gather all the supplies I needed and risk getting the wrong thing and botching the entire project.  Since this was my first attempt at refinishing anything of significance, I decided to let someone else do the hard work...Thanks Rust Oleum. 

The kit comes with everything and they claim it is easy, fast, simple etc...It was easy.  No sanding or stripping, just one simple step to degloss the cabinets.   Well, it's simple but I think I burned about a 1000 calories rubbing down the doors and frame. 

Anyways, here are some pics of the before and during...

Cabinet before.  I decided to start on a smallish project in case things didn't work out.

I removed all the doors and such then taped off around the floor and walls.

I set up a workspace in the garage.  It was fine but the lighting wasn't as good as it should be even though I had spot lights set up.  Natural, bright lighting would have been better and next time I do this, I will set it up in my kitchen that is flooded with natural light. There weren't any harsh fumes or smells and everything cleaned up easily with water.

After deglossing everything, I added the tinted bond (base) color.  It was pretty streaky and I started getting nervous but after the second coat, it looked much better!
I am really happy with the results and I will reveal the finished cabinet right here on Wednesday!  I added a glaze and the finish coat is done....I can't wait for you to see it!

1 comment:

  1. ohh I can't wait to see it finished!! maybe I"ll have to do mine right along with you!

    ReplyDelete