Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cabinet Refinishing Part II

Here it is, the end results of my cabinet refinishing experiment.  I am really happy with the results.  I learned a lot and even though I really like it, there are some things I would do differently.  I will get to that in a minute...  Here is the before...
  Here's the AFTER....


What do you think?  Do you like it?  Obviously, now I have to paint the walls.  The contrast is too much for me and it's high time this bathroom got a little attention.  I have big plans for the walls but that is going to be another surprise!  I think I will also replace the flooring.  It's a work in progress and this is a great start! 

If I decided to refinish my kitchen cabinets, I'm not sure I will use the Rust-Oleum product.  I am interested to see how the bathroom holds up to wear and tear.  It was easy enough and I have enough product to do at least two more bathrooms if I want. 

The one thing that I found difficult was getting the paint in the little grooves of the recessed panels without ending up with big globs of paint.  The final sealer coat was also very difficult, probably the hardest part of the process.  I did end up sanding down a couple of areas and re-touching them.  In a couple of places, I got the finish coat on too heavy and rather than drying clear, it dried white.  That was disappointing. 

All in all, I am pleased with the product and the final results.  It's actually way nicer than I had expected.   I need to decide if I am going to tackle my kitchen cabinets...They are horrible looking, more of the same boring oak.  Here is a kitchen I found in the colors I really want for my kitchen. 
I would do my main cabinets in the cream with a pewter glaze and my island in the pewter grey...so warm and inviting.  I love this kitchen.  I don't love the kitchen I have now.  We'll see.  First things first, finish the bathroom!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the look of that kitchen! You should totally do it! hen come do mine! haha the cabinet looks amazing, you did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete